Problems in interior and exterior drywall ceilings
Over a time the drywall tape begins to crack and fall down due to the heat and humidity from harsh Florida climate. The weather changes makes the drywall cause the wood framing to expand and contract on a daily basis in turn causing just enough movement of your ceiling to crack and pop the paper tape joints. This causes various problems in drywalls interior and exterior walls
Smooth surface ceiling repair
There are so many materials used in smooth surface ceiling such as straight edge, measuring tape, long drywall knives, mud pan, awl, utility knife, drywall saw, drywall sander, drywall tape, paint supplies (paint roller, paintbrush, roller pan, drop cloth, primer and paint), stud sensor, gloves, safety glasses, dust mask, etc, By using these materials drywall smooth surface can be done successfully. There are so many steps and types of works involved in repairing a drywall in any kind of surface whether it is a smooth surface or texture one.
First we have to look at the space in the attic above the damaged area for wires. Poke the awl through the ceiling around the damaged area to determine how far the damage extends.
- Remove the damaged area and any insulation from the above.
- Most of the ceilings use the standard five to eight inch of drywall and it has been available in different thicknesses according to our needs and remember the replacement piece should be the same thickness as the existing drywall.
- Make sure the replacement is done properly because the replacement piece should have the adequate support.
- Replace any insulation you removed earlier, and fit the replacement piece into the hole in the ceiling. Secure the drywall to the ceiling joists using drywall screws. Sand the area smooth and apply additional coats as necessary. Sand between each coat, when the area is dry and smooth, prime and paint it to match the ceiling.
Textured surface ceiling
The textured surface ceiling also uses various types of material to repair. Materials used in this surface ceiling are paint roller with textured sleeve, utility knife, sanding block and fine sandpaper, putty knives in several different widths, joint compound container, joint compound, joint tape, masking tape, latex paint, dust mask, safety glasses, and drop cloth. The texture ceiling also involves few methods of repairing.
- First step we have drop the cloth around the area and use a knife to scrape the paint which are damaged.
- Remove all the paint from the ceiling to avoid mismatched textures. With a putty knife spread a thin layer of joint compound along each seam.
- After smoothening the compounds apply cut a piece of drywall tape to length and apply it to the wet compound.
- With the knife smooth the tape to remove air bubbles.
- Apply the layer of the compound on the top of the tape. Allow the compound to dry, and sand it smooth.